The History and Evolution of Digital Marketing
- 4.1 References
It is incredibly challenging to imagine the modern world without the Internet. And ever since the Internet was created, many things, including marketing, connection, and communication, have gotten easier and are now very simple. If the Internet disappeared for a day, the entire globe would suffer greatly! Oh, that’s accurate.
Due to the advantages that the internet and digital marketing provider, businesses are increasingly concentrating on attracting and keeping customers by creating an appropriate and successful digital marketing strategy rather than focusing on conventional and outdated methods. Marketing departments are putting in enough effort to differentiate themselves from their competitors and keep up with all the latest technology developments.
Before studying the origins and development of digital marketing, let’s first gain a better understanding of it and its advantages.
What Is Digital Marketing?
The activity of promoting goods and services via digital channels to reach a wider and more specific audience within the digital market is referred to as “digital marketing.” It’s always a good idea to use search engines, social media, websites, mobile devices, and other digital channels to market your company online.
In the past, businesses advertised their goods in newspapers, on television, and the radio. You can even search for celebrities who went to Harvard. However, a lot of retailers and company owners still have access to and use these choices today. The development of the Internet has altered how companies interact with their customers. But this is where digital marketing is useful. Websites, social media, search engines, applications, and a host of other platforms are excellent examples of this type of marketing.
The Development of Digital Marketing Over Time
The Web 1.0 platform was developed during this period to help people discover the information they required. They were unable to share this information, though, via the Internet.
Reevaluation is essential in all of your life’s decisions (ER, 2020). These days, marketers and industry professionals are unaware of the advantages of digital marketing. Because the Internet had not yet become widely used, they had no idea if their strategies would be effective.
Read More: Importance Of Workforce Automation Technology In 2023
From 1990 to 2000 –
- In 1993, the first clickable web banner debuted online. To market and advertise at the time, HotWired purchased a few banner ads. The era of digital marketing began at this point. With a new objective, several novel technologies—including the first internet-based e-commerce transaction—were created and released on the market. Yahoo was also established this year. Within a year of launch, it received 1 million hits. Businesses have tried to optimize their websites to boost their search engine ranks since Yahoo revolutionized the concept of digital marketing.
- In 1996, new search tools and engines like HotBot, LookSmart, and Alexa were released. The first social networking website was launched in 1997 and was called sixdegrees.com.
- Since Google was founded in 1998, that year marked a turning point for digital marketing. Additionally, this year saw the launch of Yahoo online search and MSN by Microsoft.
From 2000 to 2010 –
- Two years later, in 2000, the internet bubble burst, destroying all of the smaller search engines. The industry’s giants now have more space and opportunities to grow even for Dissertation Writers UK.
- A professional social media network called LinkedIn was established in 2002. MySpace was introduced in 2004, but WordPress was introduced in 2003. Established in 2004, Gmail. Google and Facebook both went public in the same year., YouTube was established in 2005.
- Another noteworthy year was 2006 when it was reported that search engine traffic rose by 6.4 billion in a single month. This year saw the launch of MS Live Search from Microsoft and the launch of Twitter. Amazon’s e-commerce sales reached $10 billion at the same time.
- In 2007, Tumblr was established. Hulu, an internet streaming service, was also established this year. Apple unveiled the iPhone the same year. Both Spotify and Groupon were introduced in 2008.
- In 2009, Google Instant was launched to deliver search engine results instantly. Google was the company that initially created AdSense, a cost-per-click advertising scheme, and AdWords, which are three-line ads that show up at the top or to the right of search engine results. As time went on, Google started to focus its advertising on customers’ interests, and as a result, it grew to be a significant player in the digital business sector.
From 2010 till now –
- Google Buzz and Whatsapp both debuted in 2010. Google Panda and Google+ were released in 2011. The amount of time people are investing in other mediums has already surpassed that of television.
- 2012 will go down in history as the year of social media. The budgets allocated to social media by businesses have increased by 64%, and Google Knowledge Graph has been created. Facebook and Myspace are the social networking sites with the largest user bases. Companies were feverishly attempting to sell their products and brands on various social media platforms because they understood that these sites would help them expand their businesses over the Internet. They have also tried to advertise their businesses on social media.
- Yahoo purchased Tumblr in 2013.For the first time in 2014, PC users were outnumbered by users of mobile and smartphone devices. Targeted ads for iWatch and LinkedIn as well as the Facebook Messenger app were all made available. Whatsapp was purchased by Facebook earlier this year.
- In 2015, Snapchat unveiled its Discover feature. This year also saw the development of several new technologies, including analytics, wearable technology, and content marketing.
- The cookie was yet another significant development in the field of digital marketing. The initial cookie was developed to record user preferences. The function of the cookie has changed over time, and modern cookies are programmed to give advertisers a variety of ways to obtain actual user data.
- In 2017, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, and other well-known social networking websites were all very popular. There are 2.01 billion users active on Facebook.
Digital Marketing Statistics 
- 4 percent of internet users look for information online at least once each month.
- Google typically responds to 40,000 search queries every second. That amounts to about 3.5 billion queries per day!
- A little over 92 percent of the market for search engines is controlled by Google. The next two most widely used search engines globally are Bing (2.75%) and Baidu (2.75%). (1.9 percent).
- More than 60% of all Google searches are conducted on mobile devices.
- 3 percent of smartphone users conduct online searches on their smartphones.
- In the United States, mobile devices accounted for 70% of sponsored search impressions and clicks, according to data.
- 70% of smartphone owners investigate a product more on their devices before purchasing in a store.
- In comparison to Google, which accounts for 36% of product searches, Amazon accounts for 49% of them.
- Data from Google shows that 85.3 percent of all clicks and 76% of all retail search ad spending are accounted for by Google Shopping adverts (Monnappa, 2022).
- Internet users are 80% more likely to visit a physical store if they can check the inventory online.
- 76% of mobile users who use Google Maps to discover a retailer visit a linked store within a week, and 88 percent do so.
- 86 percent of B2C marketers say content marketing is a crucial component of their overall strategy.
- In 63% of businesses, there is no established content strategy.
- 72% of marketers believe that content marketing increases leads and engagement.
- Blog content is one of the top five content channels, according to 70% of businesses.
In light of the aforementioned figure, digital marketing has significantly increased and will continue to do so year after year. We sincerely hope that this in-depth article about the development and history of digital marketing was helpful to you! Please leave your comments below.
Avantika Monnappa (2022). The History and Evolution of Digital Marketing. https://www.simplilearn.com/history-and-evolution-of-digital-marketing-article#:~:text=the%20most%20ground.-,History%20of%20Digital%20Marketing,this%20information%20over%20the%20web
ER (2020). How to Make Progress on Your Goals When You Feel Unmotivated? https://eazyresearch.com/blog/how-to-make-progress-on-your-goals-when-you-feel-unmotivated/